What rhymes are there?
Repetition of similar combinations of sounds thatbind the endings of lines or symmetrically arranged parts of the lines of verse, is called a rhyme. For Russian classical versification the main sign of rhyme is the coincidence of stressed vowels. In this article, the question of what rhymes are and how they are applied is considered in detail.
Varieties of rhyme
The word "rhyme" in Greek means"proportionality". Rhyme is called a composition-sound repetition, sounding at the end of several verses. Rhymes can be divided into different groups according to their forms and position in the poem.
Depending on the position, in the rhymed word there are the following kinds of rhymes:
- Men's - they emphasize the last syllable, this is the simplest kind of rhyme (for example: "my-family", "pineapple-bass-facet", "board-melancholy").
- Female rhymes - the stress is placed on the syllable, the penultimate from the end, there will be more sounds in them (for example: "clay-picture", "wound-plans", "misty-strange").
- Dactylic - stress is placed on the syllable, the third from the end (for example: "ask-worn", "bone-cane", "drunkard-stretches").
If rhyme will end in a vowel sound, it will be open, if consonant - closed.
Rhymes differ in the nature of the sound. They are:
- Approximate. In them, not all sounds starting from the last stressed vowel will coincide, for example, "secha-towards", "King's book".
- Exact. They coincide with the last percussion vowel and the sounds following it, for example, "breathe-hear-write", "again-hilt".
According to the position in the poem are the following types of rhymes:
According to the position of rhymes in the stanza:
- Adjacent. Rhyming adjacent poems, the first - with the second, the third - with the fourth. If the letters denote the lines, then the same rhyming lines will be indicated. You can write down adjacent ones like this: AABB.
- Crossed. The first verse rhymes with the third, the second with the fourth. ABAB.
- Belted or covered. The first verse with the fourth rhymes, and the second with the third. ABBA.
- Woven. It has many different schemes. So, in general, complex kinds of rhyming are called, for example, АБВАБВ or АБВВБА and so on.
There are rhymes of parts of speech, for example:
- noun-verb: "abyss-disappear";
- verb-adverb: "it's become a lot";
- noun-adjective: "abyss-iron";
- noun-adverb: "windows are late";
- noun-numeral: "twice-thirsty";
- noun-preposition: "forest-without";
- union-noun: "no-days";
- pronoun-adjective: "them-earthly";
- numeral-adjective: "one-unsaved".
I must say more about such a reception of rhyme, astruncated rhyme. This is when rhyming two words at the end of verses, one of them covers the consonance of another not completely. For example, "dull-strength", "beautiful-clear".
White is called poetry, which does not have rhymes at all, rhymed - inaccurate rhymes.
She occupies a speciala place. Mayakovsky was discovered new ways of rhyming, which corresponded to the structure of his special oratory verse. In an article on how to do poetry, Mayakovsky wrote about rhyme. It was about rhyme to return to the previous line, to force to remember it. According to Mayakovsky, rhyme should make all the lines that make up one idea, be together. He put the most characteristic word at the end of the line and, at all costs, invented a rhyme for him. Therefore, it was his rhyme is almost always extraordinary, in any case, before it was not used anywhere.
Now you know what rhymes are in the verses, and you can try to write them yourself. We wish you good luck in your work!