How to read rap?
Watch the video
Rap - a difficult musical genre, which requires the performer not only talent, but also perfected techniques. On how to learn the difficult skill of rap, we'll talk further.
What do you need for a good rap?
Rap - this is an artistic recitative thatPronounced in the rhythm of the selected music track. Not every performer is able to work in this musical direction. To really qualitative, professional, interesting to read rap, you need:
- Have well developed lungs. This will allow without a hitch, in one breath to pronounce long lines. To do this, go jogging, swimming. Learn to hold your breath for a few minutes.
- Have an impeccable diction. Rap is a quick poem of poetic forms, and if you pronounce words vaguely, crumpled, listeners simply will not be able to understand what you are rapping about. Rapid tongues will help develop the diction.
- To be able to work with voice. The ability to vary the timbre during the reading, to lower and increase the tonality, to speak a little hoarse or, on the contrary, very gently and smoothly, is extremely important for a beautiful, emotional performance. Learn about all the possibilities of your voice and try to develop as much as possible the data by the nature of the skill.
- Have charisma. A real rapper certainly knows how to work perfectly with the audience. He conveys the meaning of words by facial expressions, gestures, eyes, internal energy messages. Learn to completely relax on the stage, flirt with the public where necessary, to convince her of something through her music, performance.
- To be in a trend - to understand which topics are the most relevant, interesting for listeners. It is very important to learn to distinguish qualitative texts from superficial, frivolous, fake ones.
The first stages of training
- Learn the terminology of rap. This will in the future better understand the meaning of thematic sites, articles, magazines dedicated to this style of music.
- Carefully study the work of recognized masters of the chosen direction of rap. Thus it is desirable to read the articles, which describe the used MC technique, the style of execution.
- Write yourself some exercises to develop diction and give a couple of hours a day for classes.
- Learn to feel the rhythm. To do this, turn on the rap and repeat the words quietly behind the performer, trying to get as close as possible to the pace of the piece.
- Learning to speak clearly and quickly to musicphrases rapper poems, give attention to the artistry of the song. Work with facial expressions, gestures. Here you can see video recordings of famous MC performances.
- Learn the complex techniques of rap reading, which will make the performance truly professional and beautiful.
Receptions of rapping
Asking the question of how to learn to read rap, it is worth paying special attention to the rhythm of reading the texts.
So, venerable professionals are criticalto Russian rap, since it often uses so-called "square" rhymes. By them is meant the imposition of the text clearly under certain parts of the backslash - that is, for every measure that consists of 4 bits, there are 4 lines of text. This technique is well suited for mastering beginners, but for professionals such a technique is inappropriate. A solid rap is the ability to make complex rhymes that begin or end a little before or after the final beat in a beat. To do this, you will need to learn how to stretch or, on the contrary, "cut" certain words, use other techniques.
- Doubble Time and Fast-Flow. These are techniques in which the reading of the text is 1.5, 2 or more times faster than the rhythm of the bits. In addition, you can somewhat speed up or slow down the reading of individual syllables of the word.
- Tung Twist. This is a rather complicated technique, in which one or more syllables are repeated several times in a word.
- Triols. This is a rapping method using both Doubble Time / Fast-Flow, and Tung Twist and other similar techniques that make reading broken, and therefore more emotional, interesting.
Also very adorn the perusal of the following techniques, relating already to the skill of creating texts:
- Spelling. The use of rhyming not just sounding words, but vivid expressions characteristic of modern rap, is a very special, "proprietary" wordplay.
- PunchLine. By this term is meant the statement of the semantic emphasis on the final square phrase. As a rule, this is achieved through comparative turnover.
Tips for novice rappers
- Use different intonations when reading texts. Read on the rise to the peak, and then down. Or read the lines in waves. For example, one line is ascending, the other line is descending.
- Feel the tonality of the music and try to emphasize it in rap. To do this, it is desirable to study at least the basic musical theory and fix it by listening to tracks with different tonalities.
- Do not forget about backing vocals if you arewrite work. It will make the work even more colorful, atmospheric. For processing backing vocal entries, it is convenient to use, in particular, the programs Adobe Audition and Sound Forge.
- Before the performance, do raspevki. To do this, take a low note and sing for a minute the letter "A", as if you are at a therapist's reception, show his throat. Try to keep the sound level. After that, take a higher note and sing "E" already. Then even higher - "AND". After that, you need to take a sound below what was for "A", sing "O" and at the end even lower "U". In the end, you'll spend only 5 minutes of time (one for each sound), but perfectly prepare your bundles for the performance.