How to connect a subwoofer to an amplifier?
Watch the video
There is no motorist who does not deal withtuning your car. Everyone tries to improve their car as far as their strength and capabilities. Someone pumps the engine, someone hangs aerodynamic skirts, and someone puts a powerful acoustics. There is a common misconception that in order to hear deaf basses in the car, it is enough to throw a subwoofer into the trunk and connect it with a pair of wires to the radio. In fact, everything is not so simple. In most cases, you will need to connect an amplifier. In this article we will talk about how to connect a subwoofer to an amplifier.
Types of Amplifiers for Subwoofers
There are two main types of amplifiers:
- Monoblocks, in which there is only one channel. It's called subwoofer;
- Multichannel amplifiers, which can have up to eight channels.
However, the most common are amplifiers with two and four channels.
First of all I want to draw your attention to the fact thatpower to the amplifier is best connected by wires with the largest possible cross-section. In general, any acoustic wires burn very quickly. Therefore, you should immediately pay attention to the issue of mounting a fuse from the battery. Its rating should be slightly larger than the fuse rating of all devices connected to it.
The most difficult thing in connecting a subwoofer is the connection of the power cable to the amplifier.
- Find the process hole through which you will pull the cable. If you do not find such a hole, it will have to be drilled.
- Route the wiring in a special harness from the engine compartment to the interior. You may need to partially remove the trim. Be careful and do not pinch the wire anywhere.
- Put the wire in the trunk. Connect to the amplifier plus and minus, respectively.
- Half the work is done. Now you need to connect the amplifier to the radio. To do this, it will need to be removed.
- Connect the amplifier to the radio with tulips in colors.
- Connect the power supply from the radio tothe amplifier turned on automatically with it. Some additionally install a special button to be able to connect the amplifier separately from the radio.
- Next, you need to connect the subwoofer to the radio. Depending on the number of channels, distribute the power of the amplifier evenly between them.
- It is also desirable to install a capacitor. It will help reduce the power consumption of the amplifier. Usually it is recommended to put it when using an amplifier with a power of more than 400 watts.
As for the power of the amplifier, it is important herenot to fall for the bait of marketers. The fact is that manufacturers of acoustic equipment are increasingly trying to indicate the maximum capacity on the packaging of their products. However, high power is not yet a guarantee of high-quality musical sound. There are many more parameters that affect the sound quality. For more information, see How to pick up a subwoofer. It should also be taken into account that the subwoofer itself is not an auto-acoustics - it only enhances the installed audio system.
More practical tips you can find in the articles How to connect a subwoofer and How to connect a sub.