How to calm a person?
In our life there are various unpleasant andeven tragic situations. And the person, first of all, is a social being. Therefore, it is easier and more accessible to find support in your environment. Sometimes hands fall from the fact that it is unclear what to do, how to help a person. Psychologists say that when a person is in any altered emotional state, you first need to calm him down. So, how to calm a person?
In order to help a person calm down, it is important to observe the following rules:
- You do not have to be obtrusive. If you see that a person needs to calm down, do not immediately rush and help him. When he needs your help, you will notice it.
- You do not need to put pressure on a person. Try to be as careful as possible when you ask him about troubles, because the condition can be exacerbated by extra exposure.
- You do not need to teach and give instructions. Man himself knows what and how it will be better. Your advice should not be a teaching style.
- You can not compare a person's problem with others. Each of us has its own characteristics and character. If for someone the problem seems trivial, then for another it can be the end of the world.
How to calm a person in a difficult situation
So, if a person is not in a state of emotional explosion and is ready to talk, you can calm him down in the following way:
- Ask the person to tell thatIt happened. It is important to listen to it carefully and do not interrupt. Silence is impossible, so nod your head, insert rare words into the dialogue. If the conversation does not go, ask clarifying questions.
- Be patient and steadfast. You can not take offense at a person if he is rude, curse, even insult you. It is important to understand that all emotions are directed not at you, but at the problem.
- Give the person as much time as he needs. In no case should you rush the narrator.
- Ask him about what you can do to help him. Do not need to immediately offer your options, sometimes a person will ask you to do something.
- Try to support the person. Some need a friendly embrace, others need a walk in the open air. Support it as you can.
How to calm a person in an extreme situation
If an extreme situation has occurred, butexperts who can help, no, then you will have to calm yourself down. There are two types of reactions under stressful conditions - an emotional storm (when a person reacts sharply, screams, curses, cries, etc.) and emotional stupor (when a person can not say anything, looks at one point, does not go to contact).
If he cries and swears, you need emotionallytalk to him until the person gets tired. Sometimes you can hug a person tightly and keep him until he stops acutely reacting. Only then try to calm down as described above.
If a person is in a state of stupor, then you need to "revive" it. To do this, you can shake it by the shoulders, pour it with cold water, and pluck it. And only then calm down.
For many people, there is a difficulty in howto calm a person with words. Psychologists advise that you need to carefully monitor what you say. And, you need to follow the words and emotions. You can not swear and get angry at a person. It is necessary to speak concrete facts, diluted with soothing words. It is also important that a person react to your words. For this you can ask questions like, "Do you agree?", "Do you hear me?", "What do you think about this?".